Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Inclusive Service-Learning

“Be open, acknowledge the difference, and remove the human made barrier and stigma.”

By Shana Holet: MCSC Inclusion AmeriCorps*VISTA

Shana Holet My name is Shana Holet and I am the Inclusion AmeriCorps*VISTA serving at the Michigan Community Service Commission (MCSC). My role here at the MCSC is to serve with AmeriCorps, Learn and Serve, and Senior Corps programs in Michigan on disability and inclusion efforts. I provide support; such as resources and information, outreach, and needs assessments. I also serve with our state’s disability community doing outreach and promoting the opportunity for service as an option for people within that community.

As I reflect back to my school experiences and preferred learning-style I was never a participant in a formal grant-funded Learn and Serve program, but I received a similar experience last year as I was finishing my degree requirements at Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU). During my internship requirement, I was placed in a nonprofit agency, the Arc of Midland, and applied concepts from the classroom into the daily operation of this nonprofit. Specific competencies had to be met. Within this experience, I gained a first-hand perspective on how important it is to have the correct supports in place for anyone in all facets of life. Specifically, the Arc of Midland works with individuals who experience intellectual disabilities.

Whether at a social gathering, in a service-learning program, at an internship, in a classroom, or at your place of employment, it is crucial for the correct supports to be in place, in order for a meaningful experience to occur. For individuals with disabilities it is important to acknowledge the differences and then acknowledge how full participation can occur, in whatever facet of life may be up for discussion. Far too often, society is resistant to try something that is unfamiliar to them or venture to working towards including all members of a community because the difference is not understood. The fact is people with disabilities are different, but it is not the disability that prevents full-inclusion. It is the barriers put up by society and the stigma that surrounds disability.

For example, during my internship at the Arc of Midland, my supervisor asked that I assist with facilitation of a night class for people served by the organization. I am an individual who does not drive and the public transportation between Midland County and Saginaw County where I traveled to and from SVSU is very limited. Yes, it is due to a disability that I do not drive. And it was due to limited resources that another way had to be found so I could fully participate in the internship experience and have the opportunity to practice facilitation. The solution was that I would be provided a ride after the night class by a personal assistant who helps one of the individuals served by the Arc. The individual served by the Arc was able to provide a taxi service for individuals who were not adequately served by the traditional services in place. This service was provided because of his own need for personal assistance and support as a result of a disability.

It was not my disability that made the prospect of travel during a specific time of day difficult, but the lack of funding, acceptance of public transportation, and the fact that Michigan is an automotive-driven state. Relying on others does have a stigma, but as demonstrated here, creativity, willingness, and lack of a stigma allowed for a full and meaningful learning experience. This concept of creativity can be applied to any situation. All one has to do is be open, acknowledge the difference, and remove the human-made barriers and stigmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment